Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Readings



I read " Along Comes A Stranger "  by Dorie McCullough Lawson this weekend.  To be honest I read it in about two hours Sunday night.  It is about a woman from Massachusetts who has married and moved with her husband to Wyoming. She suspects her mother in law's new boyfriend of not being who he says he is.

This booked bogged me down with phone conversations and interpersonal ramblings.  Where each twist was going was obvious and easy to anticipate.  I understood that I was suppose to connect to the main characters human struggle, and I understood the author was trying to get me involved in her everyday life and wanted me to feel the intensity building.  But I didn't.  There are a few honest and quotable glimpses into the human condition, and there are a few intense sections.  But nothing elicited a strong emotional response from me.

This was the authors debut novel.  While this book did little for me I wouldn't shy away from picking up one of her books again.  There were definitely some promise that may have been more fully realized.

2 out of 5 Stars.

In other reading news I am also randomly reading Sense and Sensibility whenever I pick up my kindle.  It reminds me how much I enjoy words and phrasing.  I have yet to make it all the way through, but I will let you know when I do!  

Have you read any good books lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment