Monday, July 9, 2012

Beginners Guide To Biking . By A Beginner. Part IV

If you want to start at the beginning you can click on the series label or follow the links. 1,2,3.

What pedals should I have on my bike?  What are the different pedals?

Remember when you were a kid and you just jumped on your bike and was off?

There are those pedals.  The problem is they waste power.  You relay on momentum for the pedals to come back up so you can push down again.  If you want to go faster, it's time to utilize the up motion too.

Cages


Pro: cages attach to your pedal and help you to get more power.  Now you are pulling the pedal up and down and can better maximize your effort.  Con:  You are still pushing through your shoe, and your shoe is holding you back.  Also, you have to learn how to get in and out of them with out falling over.

Clips

 



Pro:  Less shoe to get in the way, and you are pulling the pedal with every single movement.  Pro/Con: It works new muscles!  I know I said you pull with the cages, but you pull much, much more with the clips.  I am still adjusting.  Also, you can never stop.  Good for going faster and pushing yourself hard, but definitely a change. You have to learn how to clip in, and get out with out falling over.  I've had no issues getting out, but I still only manage to get in by accident. Con:  You cant just get on your bike and go, you have to put on your special shoes.  I was thinking about that on my ride this morning, and I decided it's not as restrictive as I think.  I wouldn't go running without my running shoes, so not going cycling with out my cycling shoes isn't that big of a deal.
 

Which of the three do you prefer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment