Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Wolf Gift

                                                                          SOURCE

I have always love Anne Rice.  I read Interview with a Vampire when I was 16 and have never stopped reading her books.  When I was in college I forced a group of friends to drive with me from Toledo Ohio to Chicago Illinois so I could meet her and get a book signed.  I have a very personal relationship with her characters and her world.  Anne Rice has a very definite world.

The Wolf Gift was a refreshing visit back to that world.  Anne always has a way of bringing places and people to life for the reader.  She makes you want the characters passions and adventures.  The Wolf Gift is, at its very heart, a typical Anne Rice novel.  It is everything I love and dislike about her fiction.

This book went from being an intense and enjoyable read, to something I had to force myself not to skim till the end.  It became evident in The New Tales of the Vampires that Anne was a little obsessed with Marius.  Repetitively.  As the "pack" formed in the Wolf Gift I felt more and more like I could identify the characters by their vampire counterparts. I've read the story of those characters already.  Multiple times through Anne Rice's various books.  That also made the Marius like character espousing his philosophies equally boring.

BUT

You should read this book.  Whether you are new to Anne Rice or have been around forever this is a very, very enjoyable read.  If you are new to Anne Rice you may not notice my complaints at all.  If you are a long time fan you may not agree with me.  Either way, the merits of meeting Reuben and going on his journey with him far out weigh the negatives.

4/5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment