Friday, August 31, 2012

Deadly Little Secrets


I picked Deadly Little Secrets up at a used book store on vacation.  I thought it was fiction, and seemed like a indulgent vacation read.  When I got in the car I realized it was a true crime novel because there were picture in it.  You would have thought I would have noticed the quote on the front of the book.  Sometimes, I am special.

I decided to read it, despite the depressing nature of  the book.  Stories are a lot more fun when they aren't about real bad guys.  I couldn't put it down.  I read it on the beach, I read it in the hotel room, I read it by the pool.  

The events were laid out very clearly. Kathryn gave an extensive look into both the husbands and the wifes backgrounds.  it was obvious that she spent a significant amount of time talking to all of the people involved in their lives.  She continually gave the perspective of both sides of the family and of the main players themselves.  The psychology  major in me was thrilled, and watched with mounting horror as all of the past events and all of danger signs led down the inevitable path.

I have one complaint about this book.  The author would latch onto certain family quotes, and use them three or four times.  You would read it again and again and think yes yes you said that before... but it wasn't disruptive.

What humans can do to each other with no remorse is disturbing.  However, if looking into the mind and path of a man who started with assault, landed in the priesthood and ended with murder sounds interesting to you, you should check it out.  Deadly Little Secrets was an enthralling read.

4/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment