Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Keeper Of Lost Causes: The Firt Department Q Novel


I bought this based on the suggestion of people in a reading group at my work, they gave rave reviews calling it a great detective novel.  The first thing I want to say about the The Keeper of Lost Causes is the author is from Denmark.  You will find some of the names, transportation scenarios, and money references much less jarring of you have read the Girl With a Dragon Tattoo or another Scandinavian author.  This was a detective story. A story about a damaged man and the ways he is coping with the damage.  He is not looking for redemption, but he is good at what he does, when he is not to busy being damaged. 

That was not what made this an interesting read for me.  Honestly, most of the scenes with the main character Carl Mørck I could have skipped.  He didn't interest me, his struggle didn't interest me, his lack of redeeming qualities  did not interest me.  In fact, if it wasn't for the victim, I probably would have stopped reading this book.

The chapters involving the victim were what kept me glued to the pages.  I liked her.  Her story, her psychology, what her life was.  Her story, was the best part of this book.  

I don't know if I will pick up another Department Q novel.  It did not draw me in and make me care.  The times it did were so different from the times it didn't, that the contrast made me view the entire book in a worse light than I might have other wise.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment