Monday, September 24, 2012

Stairs, Commuting and Pain

On Friday we had an evacuation drill at work.  I work on a very high floor.  I've never actually completed the drill and I decided that this year I would do it.  How hard could it be?  I can go on a 30 mile bike ride and maintain 15 mph.  What was going down some stairs? 

Never again.  Unless the building is actually on fire, never, ever again.  My legs are still cramping, still hurt, and I am barely mobile.  Ugh.
Regardless of my hobbling I decided to carry on with my plan to map the commute from my house to work via bike on Saturday.  My aunt's came with me and we really didn't have any issues until we got  into downtown.  Columbus is a mess right now.  Nearly every highway is shut down or has construction.  Apparently the same goes for the bike trails.  We were detoured off of the bike path and through random parts of the city.   The detour signs were neither consistent nor helpful.  We mostly ended up where we were going by smell.

After lunch at North Market we headed back out for the return trip.  Instead of trying to weave our way back through the no mans land we entered by we took Google's suggestion and headed straight up a main street.  It was a more direct route to the bike trail, and less miles.  However, it is a Main street, while not to scary on a Saturday afternoon, Monday at rush hour would be an entirely different story.

 My great ambition to commute to work then is still in the planning stages.  I am waiting for the bike lockers to go in ( SO excited and the basic structures are already up) .  I know I can bike the mileage, even though it is higher than a typical cycling commute.  The one remaining problem is getting in and out of downtown safely.  That is going to take some more research and planning.  I don't believe either of the routes that I tried on Saturday are viable options.  I am okay with the ride in, it would be early enough that traffic wouldn't be a concern yet.  How to get home is the remaining challenge.

Despite my predead legs, and despite my misgivings about work day viability, it was a good day.  We explored parts of the trail that we hadn't been on before, I was able to introduce my aunt to the wonders of North Market, and I put in some more real traffic/road miles.  If you had told me last year that I would voluntarily ride a bike in downtown Columbus the length of High Street, I would have told you that you are out of your mind.  Now I just need to convince myself to do it in work day traffic.  Uh huh.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment