Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Favorite Songs

The Favorite List continues with my favorite songs.


Creep
I would have never put this on a top list of my favorite songs until a few months ago.  My husband said "Hey it's your favorite song" and I said " No it's not" and then I realized that in fact it was.  Glee did a really fantastic cover version, believe it or not.  You can listen to it hear.

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
Why this Meat Loaf - Jim Steinman song?  I don't know.  I've always loved it.  I can remember forcing my brother to sing back up with me to it in the car when we were little.  I can't help but sing along when I chance by it on a radio.

Lincoln Ave - Train
 Let's go back to 2003.  Drop's of Jupiter was mine and every other woman's favorite song of the moment.  Train released another album called My Private Nation.  So I bought it, because I loved that one song off of their first album.  I think the big hit off of this album was Calling all Angels, which for the record I do not like.  Track 10 was never released on the radio.  Track 10 though..... track 10 I have always had to listen to at least twice every time.  Because as I am singing along and getting to the part that says " And I'll tell myself, I'll make it through, I'll tell myself anything to get over you" I tear up. EVERY TIME.  So then I have to listen to it again as a kind of palate cleanser to just enjoy the song. Then I usually listen again.  You should do yourself a favor and check it out.  It's about a husband telling his wife, that he's sorry that he hasn't grown up fast enough, but does she remember when she loved that about it him?  He tells her he's ready to show her, ready to try, but if she doesn't take him back he knows he will never get this again, but he will try to get over her anyway.  It's sad, and it tells a beautiful story.  You should do yourself a favor and have a listen.

Acoustic # 3
Another song that was never on the radio.  Dizzy Up The Girl is the Goo Goo Doll's biggest most famous album because Iris is on it.  In my opinion, it is one of the greatest albums ever, and certainly my #1 favorite.  I had a really hard time picking one song on it for this list.  Black Balloon, Bullet Proof, Hate This Place, all my favorites.  I am still conflicted really.  But Acoustic #3 wins because it's quiet, beautiful, and can also get me emotional.  The whole album is amazing though.

Backstreets/Jungleland
I know, that's cheating.  I think it's a fair compromise though considering I could rattle off 10 of my favorite Springsteen songs with out even trying.  When I was growing up, my two favorite Springsteen songs were The River ( great birth control when taken to heart) and Racing In The Streets.  My dad's has unnwaveringly been Backstreets since forever.  I am older than he was when the song first came out now, and I get it.  Lost youth, sacrifice, and trying so hard to be an ideal that you lose part of yourself to it.  I get it, and now it's my favorite song too.  I am mentioning Jungle Land because I love words, and Jungleland is a song for people who love words.  If I ever A. Stop being Lazy and B. Stop being cheap I want to get "Outside the streets on fire in a real death waltz between what's flesh and what's fantasy" tattooed on my hip.


Wow, have you ever sat down and talk about the songs that you love?  This is quite the emotional roller coaster.  Ahem, next on the list.

Stop and Stare
This song got me through a really rough time in my life, and deserves to be here just for that.  Memorable lyric for me : You start to wonder why you're here not there, and you'd give anything to get what's fair, but fair ain't what you really need"

Innocent
Another fantastic album from my college years was Something Like Human from Fuel.  Another very solid over all album.  Innocent wins as my favorite Fuel song mostly for this line " Angels lend me your might, forfeit all my lives to get just one right."  But I enjoy all of their songs.

Mr. Brightside
I can't really explain all the reasons I love this song.  I just do.  I love it.

The Scientist
Even though this is the only Coldplay song I really enjoy, it's somehow one of the most important songs in my my life.  It really helps you with mourning a relationship.  Any relationship.  Even when you don't think you have too.

(Everything I do) I do It For You
If you remember back to my favorite movie list, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was right at the very top.  For the record, I love every Bryan Adams song ever, 18 till I die was one of the best records ever made and I feel some guilt over going with the big obvious one.  But it is what it is.  Not only have I loved this song since 4th grade, but I still love it now.  So, on the list it goes.


What is your favorite song?



No comments:

Post a Comment