Thursday, March 6, 2014

Room - Review



The first nightmare I ever remember having was about abduction.  Ever since, my nightmares have always been about abduction, rape, torture and murder.  Very graphic, with movie like story lines.

That being said, I have no idea what possessed me to read this book.

Room  is written from the perspective of Jack, a 5 year old boy.  You come to realize that he and his mother are in a 12x12 room that they cannot leave.  His mother was abducted when she was 19 and Jack was a product of the repeated rape.

Happy right?

Room is extremely engrossing.  First, I was obsessed with seeing how the mother managed to keep a 5 year old entertained day after day in a 12x12 room.   Then I was obsessed with seeing if they got out and the potential repercussions.

There were sometimes I skimmed a bit,  but I also read this book in one day and probably wouldn't have gotten bored with some of the details had I set it down occasionally.  Room is really hard to set down.

Room is very well written, and getting to know Jack makes it completely worth the read.  I have already added other books by  Emma Donoghue to my Kindle wish list.  I haven't had that reaction to a book in quite awhile.

 However, if violence against women, rape, suicide, abduction, or anything like that is a trigger for you are better off to stay far away.

My nightmares are certainly back full force.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment