Sunday, January 12, 2014

What I Bought at Dollar Tree

I mentioned back in my Christmas wishlist that I had the random urge to bake cake and put cake pans and cake baking accessories on my wish list.  I did not get any of them for Christmas.  This in no way stopped my urge for cake baking.  The end game still being that I am good enough at it by March 2 so I can make my niece her usual request of a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.  The freak.

Cake supply less, I've been scheming about when I will have enough money to buy myself cake pans, carriers and cooling racks.  Then today, I remembered what happened when I got the urge to bake bread.  I went to the Dollar Tree for foil bread pans and ended up finding real bread pans for a dollar.  Off to the Dollar Tree I went, and what do you know.  Cake pans, carriers, and cooling racks.  Nothing that will last a lifetime, but a great way to see if I actually like this and will do it often enough to warrant spending real money on it.

$4 in equipment later, we have lemon cake!


Well, two actually but the second one looked like this.


And then this....


And I was thinking, well, once I stack them, frosting will hide a multitude of sins.

But then I remembered that I live at my house, and we do not keep milk on hand.  Did I mention I decided to start this project at 9 pm?  I decided to wait to make the frosting  after a grocery store trip.  At this point, I still had hopes for a pretty stacked cake tomorrow.  Then my husband wanted some, so I cut the bottom off.  Then I decided to try to flip them and the mangled one fell apart.
 Along with my dream.
The cake and a 1/2 are now in my dollar store carrier ( totally not trusting that handle btw) and I will attempt to make frosting tomorrow.




Now, I wanted to end this post with " and here is a picture of my little baking buddy" and show a current picture of my little dog.  My little, lovable dog.....who hates cameras.  Hilarity ensued.

Caption: If I just keep moving they will never catch me.


Caption: Noooooo I don't like pictures!

Caption: Must escape clutches......

Caption: Why don't they love me anymore?


Caption:  Maybe if I ignore them they will go away.

Thanks to Stefanie for hosting Sunday Snapshot!


Ni Hao Yall



3 comments:

  1. Gotta love the things you can find at Dollar Tree!

    Hope your cake baking adventures go well!

    Blessings, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I usually only think of it for baskets or cubicle decorations but it's def worth a walk through sometimes.

    ReplyDelete